BPMN 2.0 Roundtrip with Camunda Cycle and other Tools
In this section we learn how to use another BPMN 2.0 modeler and Camunda Cycle.
Roundtrip with other Tools
If you want to use another BPMN 2.0 modeler, that modeler must comply with the following requirements:
- Complete support of the BPMN 2.0 notation
- Export/Serialization of Process Diagrams in valid BPMN 2.0 XML
These are the minimum requirements for Forward Engineering. If you want to use the same modeler for a complete roundtrip, it must also allow:
- Import/Deserialization of BPMN 2.0 XML into Process Diagrams
- Import and Storage of BPMN 2.0 execution attributes
- Import and Storage of additional execution attributes (according to the BPMN 2.0 Specification, you are allowed to extend the BPMN 2.0 XML with additional attributes, which Camunda BPM does to simplify process application development)
These are the minimum requirements for Roundtrip Engineering. If your modeler complies with them, you can use it on a simple file base, meaning that you would just use the File or Subversion Connector in Camunda Cycle to add the BPMN 2.0 Files exported from your modeler to the roundtrip. This is of course less convenient than what we have just described using Signavio. Unfortunately, none of the other BPMN 2.0 tools we know currently offer an API that Cycle could connect with (if you are a Tool Vendor, please see this section).
Here is an overview of BPMN 2.0 modelers we know, and the requirements they comply with (information given without any warranty):
|Product||Version||License||BPMN 2.0||Export||Import **incl. Attributes
|BizAgi Process Modeler||2.0||freeware||no|
|BPMN 2.0 modeler for Visio||3.0||commercial||only forward|
|Business Process Visual Architect||3.0||commercial||only forward|
|Enterprise Architect||10||commercial||only forward|
|Signavio Process Editor||7||commercial||yes|
|Trisotech Business Process Incubator||2.0||commercial||yes|
If this overview is in any way incorrect or outdated, please send us a mail!